Thursday, June 2, 2011

I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu. I want to change the spark plugs and fuel filter.?

I looked underneath the hood and could not visibly see the spark plugs. I dont want to start removing things if I dont know where exactly to look. Can someone give details on where to find the plugs?? Also, on how to change the fuel filter?? Thanks for your help!!!I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu. I want to change the spark plugs and fuel filter.?
I am a GM service manager and I tend to agree withthe other answer you have from the Dodge guy. But here's what you can do. First determine the engine size that you have ( 3.1L or a 2.4L or maybe a 3.4L). Next, contact your local GM dealer and ask them if you can get them to pull up document 184476 for the 3.1 or document 256434 if you have the 2.4L from their GM service Information (SI) webpage. They will know exactly what this is. Those before mentioned documents are the service procedures for changing the spark plugs in each respective engine. Note that these engines are very different. You can have them fax these over to you. They are only about 1-2 pages long with illustrations. Now if you still feel sketchy about it, you should probably take the vehicle in to a shop to have the work done. If you are using platinum plugs, you will only have to pay a shop to change the plugs every about 100,000 miles or so. Probably worth the price seeing as how long you can go before you need them done again.



As far as the fuel filter. I'm not sure if your's is in-line or in the tank. If it's in the tank, you would consider it unservicable. And even if you wanted to service it yourself, I have reservations about instructing you on changing it. You see there is pressure on the fuel line and if you try to open the line, fuel will come out. You could hurt yourself or cause a catastrophic event in a matter of seconds is something goes wrong.



Long story short, just pay the money and have someone else do it. That way you don't have to worry about it, it is done, guaranteed, and you won't have to do it again for quite a while. All of these things usually make the money you spend worth it.I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu. I want to change the spark plugs and fuel filter.?
i own a repair shop,and if your having a hard time finding these things i really think you should let someone else do this for you,i can tell you don't have much experience at this,and you may wind up costing your self more money than you think your going to save,by trying it your self,either that or get a good repair manual for the car ,because i got a feeling you are going to need it before its over with,good luck i hope this help,s.I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu. I want to change the spark plugs and fuel filter.?
I also own a 1998 Chevy Malibu LS. I purchased the spark plugs thinking that I could do them myself. I was told that the front three would be easy and the back three are the hardest. They r located under the spark plug wires once you remove them u will see the spark plug. Note they r to be removed one at a time and replaced immediately. Also I was told this by a family mechanic. The spark plugs are still in my car in the box because i have learned that there is no way to fix this car on your own u need a professional for every little thing. About the fuel filter listen to the GM and Dodge guy. It cost me $900 for a fuel pump and filter because the fuel system is very well hidden and difficult. Note the fuel pump it's self was 600-700 because it was in the tank or something like that! So be safe and take it in if the filter is all u need! I was here to look for help with the spark plug twist numbers for a V6 and I am still searching!