Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Changed fuel filter...now brakes?

I drive a Nissan 200SX. After a long, stressful day of trying to figure out why my car was sputtering and stopping, my father seemed certain that the problem was the fuel filter. So I got a new one and replaced it.



Now, when the engine isn't running, the brake pedal feels like it always did. Just fine. But when I turn on the ignition, the pedal gives my foot no resistance whatsoever. I am able to push it back about twice as far as I was able to before, and even when its touching the floor, as far down as I can put it, the car won't stop for a good 10 feet at least, depending on how fast I was going.



Any ideas? I can't get a hold of my dad to ask him.Changed fuel filter...now brakes?
Check your brake fluid. Then look for any leaks. Usually when you have no pedal there's some kind of leak. Or possibly the brake booster.Changed fuel filter...now brakes?
I would check all the hoses around the fuel filter. If I remember correctly on this car the fuel filter is located around the master cylinder for the brakes. It's possible you left something disconnected when you replaced the fuel filter.Changed fuel filter...now brakes?
Well, changing the fuel filter would have no problem with the brakes whatsoever...But, for your brakes, begin by ensuring there is fluid in the reservoir. If its low, then fill it up...but it will probably be empty, which you need to fill it up then bleed all of your brakes. While bleeding, check all of your lines for a leak, and if you find it, replace the lines. If none of the lines are leaking, check out your master cylinder. That could also be leaking.Changed fuel filter...now brakes?
Please check the air hose connections to the brake booster( a big disk like think near to the brake fluid reserviour) or check for the leaks in the brake line.



it is always adviced to replace the brake fluid every two years since it has the capacity to absorb moisture.





regards,

Nataraj

Bahrain