Thursday, September 22, 2011

Do I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?

I was told that the fuel filter in my vehicle is not a %26quot;serviceable%26quot; one because it's located INSIDE the fuel tank. So therefore the whole fuel pump needs to be replaced and that's going to cost me around $500. For those that are mechanic savvy, is this true or am I being taken for a sucker on this? If it's not true how do I go about getting this taken care of? ANY guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE = )Do I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?
The fuel filter on a 2004 pontiac grand am is located under the drivers-side rear seat just in front of the rear wheel. It is a silver cylinder. You can't miss it. In fact if you can lie on your back and have two wrenches you can replace it your self in 10 minutes.



Look for something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-GF847-Fuel



Now in the tank there is a sock filter - it is on the pump to keep sticks and stuff out of the pump. Sock filters are pretty coarse and are intended to last the lifetime of the car. They are big with a lot of area



See the big white thing here.

http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P74105HP-Fu



If your car needs a fuel filter, then the fuel pressure is low. Your car will be hard to start or won't accelerate too well. If the sock is clogged you;'ll have the same symptoms.



I wouldn't replace the sock until the real fuel filter is replaced.



Since this guy wants to drop your tank - he is dumb or is on crack.



Tell him you don't have the money - and need your car back. Your going to donate it to charity. Then take it someplace elseDo I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?
wel part of that right

fuel pump is in tank and cant just replace a filter on it it has a sock type if the pump is bad shouldnt cost that much to replace it call a few more shopsDo I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?
not sure on your car but cars that have the filter on the fuel pump inside the the gas tank normally do have the fuel pump replaced to replace the filter. but those types of vehicles usually dont get the fuel filter changed out until the pump goes bad. if your fuel filter is plugged you can have them remove the pump and try to wash the filter out it may help the pump some. if its maintence that your worried about dont worry about the fuel filter if its internally in the gas tank hope this helps see ya.Do I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?
Your 04 Pontiac Grand AM has an intank fuel pump. I would look around an get the cheapest price.Do I have to have the WHOLE fuel pump replaced just to change the fuel filter on my 04 Pont Grand am?
Your being taken. There is a fuel filter in the tank, but there is also an external filter. That is the one to replace. Why does it need to be replaced? Is your car running funny? Is it lacking power? Don't replace it unless necessary. Fuel filters don't need to be replaced unless clogged.