Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Changing Fuel Filter on a 98 Cavalier? Quick Disconnect?

I have located the fuel filter on my cavalier pretty easyily. I depressurized the system, but now I am stuck. There is a HP disconnect that I have never seen. There is a black plastic piece right where the filter inlet connects with the tube. The plastic quick connect thing looks like a soda bottle cap with 4 segments (it looks like they should be squezzed or spreak, but I don't know). I know Im supposed to do something with this, but what? I spent many hours trying to figure out how to get this off... no luck. I went to auto parts store and they gave me the wrong tool, so I don't think they know what Im talking about. Also, the new filter has a different looking connection... does this matter?Changing Fuel Filter on a 98 Cavalier? Quick Disconnect?
If the line has a plastic female fitting over the inlet/outlet of the fuel filter, then it is a squeeze type fitting (you squeeze the tabs and pull). Problem is, if the filter hasn't been changed in a while, the plastic is dry-rotting, and the filter is rusted solid into the fittings. Easy way out is to get the fuel line repair kit, and cut the filter out.Changing Fuel Filter on a 98 Cavalier? Quick Disconnect?
you can call the dealer and they have most of the times better answers then part stores. They sometimes will even tell you what tool to use. Also you may want to buy a manual for your car. If not looking for the manual sometimes auto part stores have manuals that are open you can peek at this chapter before buying the manual. Good LuckChanging Fuel Filter on a 98 Cavalier? Quick Disconnect?
sounds like the squeese thing but if not i think.....look for the triangle shaped plastic piece and pull out from that side. a small screwdriver is easiest. nice word right? they break easy but also are easily replaced.usually come with the filter. and make sure the filter is the same it may not fit or the flow may be in the wrong direction.