Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I increase the life of my car?

I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu LS with 134,300 miles on it.



I recently had a %26quot;tune-up%26quot; which involved changing out the plugs and wires. Does this increase the life of the car? What else can I do to increase the life of my car (besides belt changes, fluid flushes, oil changes, fuel filter and oil filter changes, and other routine maintenance)? I want this car to last until 200,000 or even beyond. The only problems I've had with it have been relatively minor (fuel pump needed changed and turn signals needed to be replaced which was on a recall and I had both done for free; something with the radiator pump or something the other needed to be replaced, which was just a $30 job; and I think that's all that's really gone wrong.)How do I increase the life of my car?
In order to make your car last a long time, you need to make sure you get regular oil changes (including the oil filter). Another thing that helps is keeping it clean. I suggest washing your car at least once every two or three weeks. About every 3 washes, make sure you wax it. Paste wax is the easiest to work with in this application. Make sure you go by the book and have regular mantinence at the scheduled intervals. I would also make sure te tires have the proper amount of pressure in them to keep those last as long as they can. Depending on where you live during the colder winter months, make sure you let your car warm up for at least 5 minutes!! It is very hard on an ice cold engine to run in winter conditions! Other than that, make sure you know how your car runs. Also %26quot;listen%26quot; to your car. That way if something goes wrong, you can hear or feel it on the wheel.How do I increase the life of my car?
The car will last as long as you keep doing the maintenance. At somepoint the cost of the maintenance isn't justified. Why put $1500 in repairs towards a car that isn't worth $1500?



You should know what the value of the car is, then decide if fixing it is a good use of your money.



Most cars get to a point where the high $ repairs start coming in constantly, at that point your more or less making a car payment anyway...



I have 1999 Nissan Maxima with 155K miles on it. It's getting to that point now. Just invested $2K in service + brakes, now it needs fuel injectors for another $1K. The trade-in value is just over $3K, when do I say uncle?How do I increase the life of my car?
depending on the make of the auto some cars will surpass 200,000 miles quite easily.Not knowing the make or model of your car I would say your on the right track all ready with your regular ,routine maintenance program.Changing motor oil is one of the most important and vital things you can do. However you can make a huge difference in the vehicles life expediency,by the way you drive it.I mean if you let it warm up in the morning or at the beginning of your commute,this will make your engine happy.Also after your commute let your engine idle for a few minutes,before shutting it off.This will let the hot engine cool and reduce wear and tear on moving parts and sealing components Heavy or hard acceleration is kind of rough on an engine as well as the transmission.This too should be avoided,as well as hard deceleration or coming to a sudden stop from a high speed. Have you ever heard the phrase yep this vehicle is a real cream puff,all highway miles on her, perhaps during a sale of a vehicle?There is a big difference in highway miles vs stop and go city traffic miles on a vehicle. I would stay away from any oil additives like prolong engine treatment or slick 50 to name a couple.These oil additives are not at all necessary if you take care and use common sense,which you seem to already have.I think your on the right track alright and should be fine.Good Luck Drive Safe